- What are User Roles?
- Add a New Role (video)
- Assigning users to Roles
- Setup Scheduling Preferences
- Managing Roles (Copy roles, Delete roles, Moving users)
- How do I know what my users can see?
What are User Roles?
Roles are designed to help you easily manage different types of users and what activities those users can and cannot do on Flight Schedule Pro. Roles enable you to quickly assign permissions and preferences to a large number of users. Each user automatically inherits the permissions and preferences of the role they are assigned to.
About the Administrator role: The Administrator role gets all permissions by default, which cannot be edited. This role should be reserved for one or two master admins. It's too powerful of a role to hand out to the entire staff, and doing so makes your account more vulnerable to abuse.
About assigning users to more than one role: To simplify user management, it's recommended that you assign users to a single role only. Assigning users to more than one role makes managing roles a bit more difficult. That said, users with multiple roles will inherit the permissions of all the roles they are assigned to. For example, if any of the user's roles gives permission to view the schedule, the user will receive permission to view the schedule. The user will inherit preferences of their highest role, based on the role hierarchy defined on the Roles list in Settings.
Add a New Role
(To open this video in YouTube in a new tab, click here)
1. Navigate to the Roles list:
- Go to Settings (top-right of app)
- Select "Users"
- Select "Roles & Permissions"
2. Click "Add a new role"
You'll see 3 main tabs when adding a role: General, Permission, Preferences
General tab: Enter a name and brief description of the role.
Permissions tab: When users are assigned to this role, what are they allowed to do? Each user associated to this role automatically inherits its permissions. Select the permissions you want to give users who are assigned to this role.
Preferences tab: What scheduling preferences and restrictions do you want to apply to users who are assigned this role? If you want users in this role the ability to make reservations? If so, you'll need to give them access to one or more activity types. You can also configure other scheduling and cancellation restrictions here.
As you can see in the example below, users with permission can schedule reservations . . . but only Dual, Ground, and Student Solo activity types.
Assigning Users to Roles
There are a few different ways to assign users to roles:
- You can select a role when adding or approving a new user (See article "Add, Invite, and Approve Users")
- For an existing user, you can edit the user's role assignment (See "Edit an Existing User's Role" below)
- You can move users in mass from one role to another (see "Managing Roles" below)
Edit an Existing User's Role:
To edit an existing user's role:
1. Go to People on the left-hand menu
2. Select a person and click the "View" button
3. Click "Account Settings" on the person's profile
4. From the "Account Settings" menu, select Online Access from the drop-down menu.
5. Click in the Role box to remove and/or select a new role for this user.
This section explains how to manage roles: copy roles, delete roles and move users from one role to another.
Go to the Roles list to see the options for managing a role:
1. Go to "Settings" at top-right
2. Select "Users"
3. Select "Roles & Permissions"
From the Roles list, click the down arrow of the Edit box next to the role to display the different options.
Move users in mass to a role:
1. Select "Move Users" from the manage role drop-down list (see above).
2. In the "Remove users from Role" box (see above), select the role you want to move users FROM. Also note that you can select "Users not in a role" to select from a list of people that have no role assignment.
3. Select the users you want to move, or select all if you move the entire list of users to a new role.
4. Select the role you want to move users TO.
5. Click Save to confirm.
Copy a role:
Select "Copy" from the manage role drop-down list (see above). This automatically creates a copy of the role and all its associated permissions and preferences, however, no users will be assigned to the newly created role.
Delete a role:
To delete a role, select "Delete" from the manage role drop-down list (see above). You'll need to remove all users from the role before you're allowed to delete it.
How do I know what my users can see?
The best way to see what your users to see is to create a test user and login as that user. Once you have a test user setup, you can change the test user's role assignment and settings so you can see what that user sees when you log in as them.
IMPORTANT: You'll need to have access to a different email address than you typically use as your username on Flight Schedule Pro.
Invite a Test User:
1. Go to the main People tab and click "Add Person"
2. Use a first and last name of "Test User" (recommended). Assign the test user to the role you want to test. Enter a different email address than your typical username. You'll need to have access to this email. Select "Send Invite" so you'll get an invite via email.
3. Click "Save"
4. Log out of Flight Schedule Pro (IMPORTANT)
Register & Sign in as the Test User:
1. Make sure you are logged out of Flight Schedule Pro
2. Check email for the address you sent the above invite to
3. Click the invite link in the email from Flight Schedule Pro. If you haven't received the invite email after a few minutes, you may want to resend the invite to yourself. To do so: login as your admin user, go to the Test User's profile > Edit > Account Settings.
4. Register as the user (make sure you use a different email address than you typically use as your username on Flight Schedule Pro)
Once you register you'll be signed in as the test user. To test a different role simply log back in as an administrator and change the test user's role. Then, logout and re-login as the test user.